Saturday, October 18, 2008

5 years ago today


5 years ago today was one of those days you hope to never experience. I was at Walmart with Suzee when Chad called my cell phone and told me to come home, now! He then hung up. I called him back and asked what was wrong, and he said to come home now and to hurry, our garage outback was on fire. Then Gatlin called and said HadLee had been burned really bad. Due to Gatlin and some neighbors smart thinking, they had put HadLee in the tub with cold water and things out of my freezer. The cold stopped the burning, but some damage had already been done. Suzee and I hurried and left Walmart and as we were driving over the overpass to get on the freeway,looking toward my house you could see this big cloud of black smoke. I said "thats my house",and the optimistic little sister said "oh I don't think so". WHATEVER! As we rounded the corner to our house the street was filled with firetrucks and people, everywhere. Suzee and I ran into the house Suzee grabbed HadLee out of the tub and we went running out of the house. Just outside the door was our good friend Chris. I asked him to give Hadlee a blessing and he did an awesome job, the ambulance had not got here yet so Suzee with HadLee in her arms went running out of the house. I remember saying to Chris, I can't do burns, Chris, I work at the hospital I know how they take care of burns, and I can't do this! Chris in all his wisdom told me that WE would take care of what ever WE had to. In the driveway was the ambulance, so we jumped in with Chris in tow. Gatlin had been burned trying to get HadLee out of the fire and so we took him with us in the ambulance. Chad is outback trying to fight the fire. At the hospital all my friends that were working were waiting for us. They took such good care of my boys. Gatlin had burns on his hands and his hair had been singed bad, but he would be ok. They sent HadLee to the U of U burn unit in Salt Lake City. BY HELICOPTER! He still says that was worth every penny we paid for that ride. He spent 4 days in the intensive care unit and then 3 weeks at home recouping. He was burned from the top of his shoes to the bottom oh his shorts on both legs, both arms from his finger tips to the sleeves of his shirt. His face was like a flash burn or a really bad sunburn. When he came home the words Chris had said to me about WE would take care of what ever was now easy to understand. WE meant a whole lot of people. My family was wonderful, the cousins would come by every day and make sure HadLee went for his walk. Our friends brought lots of gifts and food and lots of love. Now 5 years later you can hardly tell. We were so blessed.

1 comment:

Suzee said...

Andie,
That picture makes my cry. I will never forget that day. And I have been called a lot of things in my life, but optimistic???? Kidding, I just didn't know what to say! I hated HATED that day! I am glad though, that he is doing so well. You would never know to look at him. He recooped just fine! Thank Heavens!!! Love you!